Wednesday 28 January 2015

Sony's so called customer service

Hi, I've had the joys of contacting the Sony Helpline for the first time ever (in 20 odd years of owning various Sony Consoles) and I thought I would share my experience. Its not a pleasant one.

This is my first blog so sorry if it is all over the place, badly formatted and generally shit.

Bit of background, I purchased a Lego Vita pack from Argos in January 2015.



I got it in their sale for a rather bargain price of £26.99. 

Last time i checked on the PSN store each game retailed on the store for £6.99 or more. Harry Potter is a laughable £11.99 (as at 26/1/2015). So say £15 for the memory card, its quite a saving on buying them seperately.

And so it begins.... 

With voucher in hand, I boot up the Vita and go to the 'redeem code' part of the PSN store.

As we all know, the Store has been a bit flaky through hackers or whatever and the first few times I got a 'cant connect' message.

However, I finally managed to put the code in and the Vita does 'its thing' and starts to download each game.

Apart from Harry Potter

I saw a message appear saying 'invalid code' but it disappeared very quickly so thought nothing of it.

Anyway, I put the vita down and let it download all the Lego Games. 

After about an hour (hey, my broadband is slow you know!) I looked at the Vita and 5 out of the 6 games were there... but no Harry Potter.

Went to the download list on my Vita and no Harry Potter is on there.

I enter the code again (not thinking it will do anything) but it queues up the games again. All except Harry Potter.

I also went to the SEN 'Webstore' and tried the code. It came up 'invalid code'. Not surprising as I had already redeemed it. Fair enough.

Anyway, a few days pass. I spend some time looking at Google for possible solutions. Google also brings up a few hits like Sony's  'terrible customer service' and such like.

I then pluck up the courage to ring the customer service line on 02035382665 on the 16/1/2015.

This phone line is only manned from 10.30 until 1900. 

I ring at around 10.40am to be told my call will be answered in around 50 mins. Wonderful.


Strap yourself in, its a bumpy ride


After listening to 50 minutes of the worst 'holding music' ever I speak to a representative and explain the problem I am having. To be honest, she is quite helpful. 

We go through various possible solutions such as... 

(1) Searching for the game (Harry Potter) on the store. The reason for this is that it may offer me it as a download but not charge me. I search for it and it says I can buy it for £11.99.

No thanks

(2) Is it in the Download list? "Checked that, No, its not there"

(3) Tried the Webstore? "Yes, done that"

She tells me this is a very weird situation as "If the code is invalid, its invalid for all the downloads, not just one"


Bonus randomness

She also tells me that the Lego Pirates game I have is in Russian. I start the game while she's on the phone and confirm that its all good and the R's are not back to front


"Computer says no"

She then tells me she has no idea what the problem is so will have to pass it on to another team. That sounds ok but its up to me to do this by doing the following..

(a) Take down the call reference - I read it back twice to confirm
(b) Take a picture of the screen which is asking for £11.99 with my mobile
(c) Send this picture with the call reference in the subject to help@uk.playstation.com 

I send this all the given email address. I even take a picture of the voucher code to cover all the bases.

"Let the games begin"

16/1/2015
Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hello,

Thanks, we've got your e-mail. Unfortunately we're a little busier than normal and it may take us longer to get back to you than usual. Don't worry though, one of our team will be in touch as soon as possible!

Thank you,
PlayStation Support
Fair enough, no problem with that

18/1/2015

Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail about your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

I can see from your e-mail that you're having some problems with your SEN account. Unfortunately the reference number you have provided does not appear to be correct. Please reply to this e-mail with the correct reference number after which we will be happy to help.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,


MH
PlayStation Support
I reply with the following - 18/1/2015
This is the number i was given. Surely you can trace it by way of my PSN Id?
If I've been given the wrong reference please don't say I have to spend another hour on the phone explaining the problem again? 
Please confirm asap.

Reply received on the 20/1/2015


Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,


Thank you for your email.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,


PlayStation Support

Er, say what. I replied to you

I also mention that i double checked the call reference when i first called. I also give my number to them for the first time to call me so. Seems quicker to sort out by phone.

Here we go!

Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail about your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

I can see from your e-mail that you’re having some problems with your SEN account. Unfortunately, the voucher code you have provided is not for the UK region. Therefore you will be unable to redeem this on a UK account.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail. 

Thank you, 



PlayStation Support




Ok, so i cant use the code. Yep, the code that I used successfully on my vita and downloaded 5 of the 6 games

As you can imagine, getting a touch fed up now

So i reply as follows on the 22/1/2015


"Thank you for your reply.

With respect, you haven't read it properly. My Voucher entitled me to download 6 PSP games onto my Vita. 5 out of the six downloaded and play fine, the Harry Potter game hasn't downloaded

Your helpline told me that it shouldn't happen because if the code don't work for one game it wont work for all of them

So can you please check again.

You already have a copy of the code. Or can you explain to me why the code works for 5 games but not the sixth one?

thank you

Again, i appreciate you do these things by a script but please call me.

Note  - To confirm I bought this voucher from Argos in London and redeemed it on a EU vita. Unless Argos are selling non EU 8 gig memory packs and vouchers.

To prove i am not being unreasonable, i'm quite happy for you to give me £11.99 credit to my psn account so i can buy it from the PSN store. That appears to be the simplest solution"

As you can see, I offer a resolution for this. Credit my PSN with 11.99. I again encourage them to ring me



Mr Obvious is Obvious

A new reply is received

Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail about your PlayStation Vita (PS Vita).

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced an issue with you PS Vita. From the information you've provided, you may be able to rectify your consoles issue by attempting to place you console into Safe Mode. Safe mode is a start-up mode for your system that helps with solving problems. In this mode, only a few system functions are available.

In order to to start your system in safe mode simply follow the instructions in the link provided below:
http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6711/p/2920/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxNTcwMzkwNi9zaWQvUjR5cEs4N20%3D

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,

G
PlayStation Support


Rage Building

My reply of the 24/1/2015

Right,

 CAN I PLEASE ASK THAT YOU PASS MY ENQUIRY TO SOMEONE OF A MANAGEMENT GRADE THAT CAN UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM

MY VITA IS WORKING FINE

IT IS THE VOUCHER THAT IS THE PROBLEM

PLEASE READ MY EMAILS PROPERLY

AGAIN, IF MY EMAILS ARE TOO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND, PLEASE CALL ME ON xxxxxxxxxx

TO REPEAT MYSELF, HERE IS THE ISSUE



 "My Voucher entitled me to download 6 PSP games onto my vita. 5 out of the six downloaded and play fine, the Harry Potter game hasnt downloaded

Your helpline told me that it shouldnt happen because if the code dont work for one game it wont work for all of them

So can you please check again.

You already have a copy of the code. Or can you explain to me why the code works for 5 games but not the sixth one?

thank you

Again, i appreciate you do these things by a script but please call me.

Note  - To confirm I bought this voucher from Argos in victoria and redeemed it on a EU vita. Unless Argos are selling non EU 8 gig memory packs and vouchers.

To prove i am not being unreasonable, i'm quite happy for you to give me £11.99 credit to my psn account so i can buy it from the psn store. That appears to be the simplest solution"


regards


Touchy Touchy

I receive the following reply. Note, no name is given

Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,

Thank you for your email.

To follow your file, we have to ask you to contact first the game publisher, explain your problem and if they can not help, please ask them to provide you a file number so we can check with them later, this is mandatory for the concerned service which takes care of this type of demand.

Before calling us, please try to

-Re-install the game.

-Launch the download from a computer.

-Try safe mode and rebuild database (no data loss)
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3735/~/ps-vita-safe-mode


We won't be able to call you.


Cordially,

PLayStation support

My reply 26/1/2015

With respect, you are not understanding the problem and your tone is also a lot to be desired. Why did you not leave a name?  I appreciate I typed in capitals but as you can see, I'm not exactly getting anywhere by being polite.
(1) I cannot reinstall the game (Harry Potter) It never downloaded in the first place. How can I reinstall the game (unless I pay for it)?
(2) Download to the computer? I presume you mean from the store? See above, I cannot download it.

(3) I have done this. No change. Besides, how would rebuilding the database help me with me trying to download a game from the web store.

So I have to contact the game publisher? Righttt.. So I have to contact a games publisher (who won't be able to help) Sony presumably publish the codes. So why would I do this?

Can't ring me? How much time would be saved by a phone call rather than us playing email tennis.

Please review this amazing situation as quickly as possible.

Alternatively, give me the name of a manager who I can contact
(1) can understand the problem 
and
(2) knows how to reply properly.
And to think, I was going to renew PS plus!
Thank you

Going nowhere fast

Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail about your PlayStation Vita.

I apologize because of your situation.

I can see from your e-mail that you’re still having problems with your voucher. Unfortunately I’ll need more details before escalate your case to another level.

Therefore I’d be grateful if you’d contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below.

Sorry and thank you for your understanding,


CJN
PlayStation Support


I reply



C
You are missing this email that I sent. Its already been logged...

Quote
With respect, you are not understanding the problem and your tone is also a lot to be desired. Why did you not leave a name?  I appreciate I typed in capitals but as you can see, I'm not exactly getting anywhere by being polite.
(1) I cannot reinstall the game (Harry Potter) It never downloaded in the first place. How can I reinstall the game (unless I pay for it)?

(2) Download to the computer? I presume you mean from the store? See above, I cannot download it.

(3) I have done this. No change. Besides, how would rebuilding the database help me with me trying to download a game from the web store.

So I have to contact the game publisher? Righttt.. So I have to contact a games publisher (who won't be able to help) Sony presumably publish the codes. So why would I do this?

Can't ring me? How much time would be saved by a phone call rather than us playing email tennis.

Please review this amazing situation as quickly as possible.

Alternatively, give me the name of a manager who I can contact  
(1) can understand the problem
and 
(2) knows how to reply properly.

And to think, I was going to renew PS plus!
Thank you

End quote

Please sort out this mess!
Regards


A reply appears

Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail. I’m sorry that you’ve had a problem with downloading Harry Potter for the PS Vita.

I have read through the previous E-mail and because we are unable to assist you through the E-mail and therefore require you to call
us. We are an inbound contact centre and do not offer outbound calls so i apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you but if you
would like this problem resolved i suggest you call us so we can assist you further.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,


J
PlayStation Support

This is the first time that someone has acknowledged the problem I am having.


I reply

J


If I call the general number (and wait an hour on hold) they will say "but you have a called us already and been given a reference so why are you calling us again"

Can you see the problem with what you are saying?

My query has been considered by the general number and they told me they can't deal with it and passed it to you guys. I am assuming this is a two tier process I.e. The general number passes queries they can't help with to you.

I'm at stage two I presume. If I ring the general number they may (at best) give me a new reference / call number to send to you and I'll be back at square one.

I have spent I reckon about 2 hours (including trying to download Harry Potter), drafting emails and considering your replies. Imagine how much time we would all save in a quick 5 minute phone call from you to resolve this. I'm astonished that a company such as Sony can't call people back.

I am not buying anything else on the store until you resolve this very simple issue

Please sort this quite frankly appalling situation out.

Alternatively, please explain in detail what good it will do to ring the general number?

Or shall I sell my vita and PS3 and buy an Xbox one?


A run of emails now!

Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail following your recent contact with PlayStation Support.

I'm sorry you're having an issue accessing content that you've purchased from the PlayStation Store. Please follow the below steps to try and make the content available to you.

Access the webstore by clicking the following link: www.store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

Once the page loads up, sign in in the top right hand corner using your sign in ID and PlayStation password.

When you're signed in your online ID will appear in the corner, hover your mouse over this and a drop down menu will appear. Select download list and find the game that you wish to download and send it to your console.

This will send the game to the download queue and it will soon start to download on your console. This normally fixes the issue but if there are any further issues then please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,


B
PlayStation Support
I reply to this as follows

B


Ive tried that. Harry Potter does not appear!

If you credit my PSN account with £11.99 so i can 'buy' Harry Potter i will treat the matter as closed. This is a small request considering the way i have been treated.

thanks



Sony Computer Entertainment Europ Header
Hi T,

Thanks for your e-mail about your account SEN Sony Entertainment Network..

I can see from your e-mail that you’re having some problems with your system. Unfortunately I’ll need more details on the problem you’re having before I’m able to help you.

Therefore I’d be grateful if you’d contact PlayStation Support at 0203 538 2665 using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,


M
PlayStation Support
Round and round we go

I reply as follows

MIchael


Are you serious?

What do you need to know? I thought the email chain would be sufficient

I really dont want to spend an hour on the phone and once again, there is no point ringing the general number as they cant help me unless you give me your direct line.

THE GENERAL NUMBER HAS REFERRED THIS TO YOURSELVES TO RESOLVE

Tell me what you need to know before i ring



So, thats my blog about dealing with Sony's customer service. The matter hasnt been resolved as at 3pm on the 28/1/2015.

Comments

(1) Sony do not have the ability to ring you about a problem which is crazy in this day and age
(2) No one takes 'control' of a matter that has been sent to them to sort out. I have had 5 different people replying
(3) They have no complaints department of note. I've tweeted @askplaystation but they havent replied.

All I want is to download a game that I have paid for. I'm not asking for a free copy of GTA V. 

Anyway, had to get that off my chest. I'm sure i'm not the only one who has had the 'delights' of dealing with Sony.







No comments:

Post a Comment